OWASP University Challenge
- Set Up
- University Challenge Events
- Road Map and Getting Involved
- Project About
OWASP University Challenge
The University Challenge is a competition among teams comprised of university students that will be held during the training days of the larger OWASP AppSec conferences (AppSec US, AppSec EU, …).
The OWASP University Challenge is a one or two day mission style security challenge event during the AppSec conferences training days! University / Student teams can compete solving hack challenges and defending insecure applications.
Attack-Defense SystemCTF System
What is the OWASP UC?
The AppSec conference should take care of:
News and Events
- Room / Space for the University Challenge
- Internet connection
- Video projector (scoring/ranking)
- Power and extensions
- Outreach to the local Universities
- Sponsor for winner prizes
- Winner announcement during the main track / (before) end of the conference
During the two training days
- challenges will be organized together with Hacking-Lab
- Hardware (challenge server) come from Hacking-Lab
- Hardware (wilreless routers) come form the Education Committee
- Travel and lodging has to be organized and covered by the student teams themselves, the conference should feed the students
- Travel and lodging of the University Challenge project leader (running the challenge) is covered by the conference
- It is recommended to give the University Challenge teams free entrance to the conference
We could need the conference organization team to help finding sponsors for the prices.
- AppSec EU 2016 Rome
- AppSec EU 2015 Amsterdam
- AppSec EU 2014 Cambridge
- AppSec-EU 2013 Hamburg
- AppSec-EU 2012 Athens
- AppSec-US 2012 Austin
- AppSec-US 2011 Minneapolis
Ticket winning" pre-conference challenges:
-> option for conference to offer free tickets via solving Hacking-Lab challenges -> qualifying for UC? -> Team qualifying
Q1: When typically has the event run at AppSec, during the training days or during conference proper? A1: The UC is normally hosted during the training days
Q2: What size of room or seating capacity has typically been used? A2: Depending to the PR and number of teams (teams have a max of 8 members)
Q3: What prizes are usually awarded? A3: depends, if the conference manages to find sponsors there are prices. At the AppSec-Eu 2013, there where no prices, only the honor of winning
Q4: Do the teams have free conference access? A4: No, the teams have to organize travel and lodging themself. all we do is hosting the UC and feed them. There are no entrance / attendance fees charged previously The attendees usually get free access to the conference (because they travel from foreign countries too)
The University Challenge is run by the OWASP/Hacking-Lab project. Real knowledge derives from hands-on experience.
Furthermore, Hacking-Lab is providing the CTF and mission style challenges for the OWASP University Challenges and for the European Cyber Security Challenge. The Hacking-Lab also provides free OWASP TOP 10 online security labs. Hacking-Labs’ goal is to raise awareness towards increased education and ethics in information security through a series of cyber competitions that encompass forensics, cryptography, reverse-engineering, ethical hacking and defense.
Learn more about:
- University Challenge 2017 @ AppSec EU in Belfast (Martin Knobloch)
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?