WASC OWASP Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project
This will serve as the main project page going forward, but for historical links please refer to here
Web application firewalls (WAF) are an evolving information security technology designed to protect web sites from attack. WAF solutions are capable of preventing attacks that network firewalls and intrusion detection systems can't, and they do not require modification of application source code.
As today's web application attacks expand and their relative level of sophistication increases, it is vitally important to develop a standardized criteria for WAFs evaluation. The Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project (WAFEC) serves two goals:
- Help stakeholders understand what a WAF is and its role in protecting web sites.
- Provide a tool for users to make an educated decision when selecting a WAF.
WAFEC is a joined project between The Web Application Security Consortium (WASC) and OWASP making sure the best minds in the industry, both those who work day and night to develop WAFs and those who implement and use them, are committed to ensure WAFEC is comprehensive, accurate and objective.
The first version of WAFEC was released in 2006 and is in wide use in the industry. In 2013, the project team was gearing up to release version 2. Due to a number of issues with WAFEC as outlined in the 2013 OWASP AppSecEU presentation WASC/OWASP WAFEC this project was sidelined until earlier this year when it transitioned from Ofer Shezaf to Tony Turner. We are now working on rebooting the WAFEC project and plan to release it in the second half of 2016. If you want to join the contributors join the the mailing list and chime in when you feel ready.
If you have any other question or idea, please contact WAFEC project leader Tony Turner.
As of July 2015 the objectives are
- Re-establish project team - In progress and looking for volunteers
- Migrate existing v2.0 doc to Google Docs - 90% completed, still incorporating disparate versions and prior comments
- Address outstanding comments and make existing sections relevant for 2015 - Barely started
- Conduct workshop at AppSecUSA 2015
- Create new document outline
- Create framework for evaluating controls
- Logo and design work
- Marketing strategy
- Internal Testing
- Conference presentation
- Socialize the project and upcoming release
- Release WAFEC v3.0
- Post-release support
- Revisit associated tools like Response Matrix
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?