SpoC 007 - Attacks Reference Guide - Progress Page
The Attack reference guide is being developed by NSRAV Security R&D and Przemyslaw 'Rezos' Skowron. In order to avoid work superposition, the project was divided in 3 phases comprising the following activities:
- Attack list revision and description (60% of the project)
- Attacks categorization (20% of the project)
- Research and describe new attacks (20% of the project)
Total project status: 70% Done!
CheckPoints and Decision
Phase 1 - 66% Done
- Attack List Revision: Done!
Total number of items on the Attack Guide: 91!
We note that Attack reference guide was previously defined based on CWE - Common Weakness Enumeration, which defines global software weakness and threats. In order to develop the Attack reference guide focused on Web application attacks, we removed some items from the list. IN addition, other items were too generic or redundant and they were removed too. It was removed 26 items, as follows:
- Link Following
- Log forging
- Logic/time bomb
- PRNG permanent compromise attack
- Script in IMG tags
- Unquoted Search Path or Element
- Web problems
- Wildcard or Matching Element
- Windows ::DATA alternate data stream
- Windows hard link
- Windows MS-DOS device names
- Windows Path Link problems
- Windows Shortcut Following (.LNK)
- Windows Virtual File problems
- OS Injection
- OS Command Injection
- XSS Attacks
- Interpreter Injection
- One-click attack
- API Abuse
- Internal software developer
- Attacks Description: 30 of 65 items done!
Phase 2 - DONE!
The attacks categorization was based on Common Attack Pattern Enumeration and Classification - CAPEC, since it is maintained by a respected entity and wide enough to fit all web application attacks.
The categories defined are:
- Abuse of Functionality
- Probabilistic Techniques
- Exploitation of Authentication
- Resource Depletion
- Exploitation of Privilege/Trust
- Injection (Injecting Control Plane content through the Data Plane)
- Data Structure Attacks
- Data Leakage Attacks
- Resource Manipulation
- Protocol Manipulation
- Time and State Attacks
It was also defined the threats categorization based on WASC Threat Classification v2, under development.
Research and Description of new attacks(under revision):
- Block Access to Libraries - add as a example of Setting_Manipulation
- Buffer Overflow via Environment Variables
- Cross Frame Scripting
- Denial_of_Service - The DoS items previously described were extracted from Testing_for_Denial_of_Service section of OWASP_Testing_Guide.
- Overflow Binary Resource File
- XSS in IMG Tags
- XSS Using Doubled Characters
Note: this links were inserted here by Dinis Cruz from OWASP-NSRAV.zip file
Note2: the items were sort by name by Leonardo Cavallari on 30/10.
by Przemyslaw 'rezos' Skowron (20071025)
- [[.]] - ([ diff] , [ history])