This site is the archived OWASP Foundation Wiki and is no longer accepting Account Requests.
To view the new OWASP Foundation website, please visit https://owasp.org

Difference between revisions of "October 11, 2016"

From OWASP
Jump to: navigation, search
(Treasurer Report - Andrew van der Stock)
(Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom)
 
(17 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 21: Line 21:
  
 
=== Meeting Minutes===
 
=== Meeting Minutes===
::- [TBA September meeting minutes]
+
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/119FJ2G2EdsVnz8vnxWv0Ee0G3uWMTSVqyxt_1CVrHiY/edit?usp=sharing September meeting minutes]
  
 
= Reading Material  =
 
= Reading Material  =
Line 29: Line 29:
 
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016]  
 
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016]  
 
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing September financial package]
 
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing September financial package]
 +
 +
* FY 17 Corporate Sponsorship Rates
 +
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1uleQULAICpNG-B1pzI7vKhuydctof4pn8s--PbB96-0/edit?usp=sharing Increase corporate sponsorship levels]
  
 
= Meeting Agenda =
 
= Meeting Agenda =
Line 36: Line 40:
 
== Reports ==
 
== Reports ==
 
=== Chair's Report - Matt Konda ===
 
=== Chair's Report - Matt Konda ===
TBA
+
* Developer Summit
 +
* Bill Approvals, Taxes, Staff Meetings
 +
* OWASP Glue Project
  
 
=== Vice Chair's Report - Josh Sokol ===
 
=== Vice Chair's Report - Josh Sokol ===
Line 58: Line 64:
  
 
=== Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom ===
 
=== Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom ===
TBA
+
Nothing to report
  
 
=== Updated from Members at Large - Tom Brennan, Michael Coates, and Tobias Gondrom ===
 
=== Updated from Members at Large - Tom Brennan, Michael Coates, and Tobias Gondrom ===
Line 69: Line 75:
  
 
* Brennan - Projects
 
* Brennan - Projects
TBA
+
- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1WO5tH1t1GU9cLqW8iHIaGUANFossid4xFCmKJq7CSSY/edit?usp=sharing Website]
  
 
==Staff Reports==
 
==Staff Reports==
** [TBA Director/Operations Update] - Kate
+
** [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1I09-fAbNanZ5MizuMQXIERnCOFbDxIoeD3197m3nzFs/edit?usp=sharing Director/Operations Update] - Kate
 
** [TBA Financial Update - Andrew/Tom - See above]
 
** [TBA Financial Update - Andrew/Tom - See above]
** [TBA Conference Manager Report] - Laura Grau
+
** [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1VYI0GC916LmyT_SIymXDvULyxi0U9gSH3fpNukDfPPQ/edit?usp=sharing Event Manager October Report] - Laura Grau
** [TBA Project Coordinator Update] - Claudia Casanovas & Matt Tesauro  
+
** [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/presentation/d/1iKNXTLb1tlJzutSdCz6giHcI6qIr1oQrjHk49pdYWZU/edit?usp=sharing Project Coordinator Update] - Claudia Casanovas & Matt Tesauro  
** [TBA Community Initiative Reports] - Tiffany Long - TBA
+
** [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-4fIJfiLa8l02Hf1XBMqRYEiY2z6g4qwln-_ZLQ6GIs/edit[Community Manager Report]] - Tiffany Long - TBA
** [TBA Membership Report] - Kelly Santalucia
+
** [https://www.owasp.org/index.php/September_2016_Membership_Report Membership Report] - Kelly Santalucia
  
 
==Old Business==
 
==Old Business==
Line 87: Line 93:
  
 
==New Business==
 
==New Business==
TBA
+
 
 +
* Discussion on FY17 budget with Tom Pappas (up to 45 minutes)
 +
 
 +
Tom Pappas and AJV will talk you through our budget process and how to get your budget requests through.
 +
 
 +
* Discussion on FY17 strategic goals (also includes Tom Pappas) (up to 45 minutes)
 +
 
 +
This will impact our decisions about budget requests
 +
 
 +
* Discussion on unbranded chapters receiving funds (Andrew van der Stock, 10 minutes)
 +
 
 +
* 2017 Virtual AppSec
 +
Example of what we are doing with Mark Miller with [http://www.alldaydevops.com/ All Day Devops]
 +
 
 +
We have a number of chapters who hold joint meetings, which is fine, but for them to receive money, they should be branded as OWASP meetings, have signed the chapter leader handbook, and are an acknowledged (and recorded in Salesforce) chapter leader. Otherwise we are funding other organisations to hold their meetings, or worse set themselves up to become independent chapters. I'd like to have a discussion with my fellow Board members to alter the Chapter handbook to ensure that funds can only be disbursed to branded chapter meetings, with requests coming from OWASP chapter leaders who have signed the Chapter Leader paperwork.
  
 
== Action Items==
 
== Action Items==
TBA
+
 
 +
* [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1uleQULAICpNG-B1pzI7vKhuydctof4pn8s--PbB96-0/edit?usp=sharing Motion to approve FY17 corporate sponsorship levels] (Andrew / Kate) (10 minutes)
 +
 
 +
* [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1oInLPNUQIEd3PLVIVN3LKGeP2ddz5Cb7tdbjH-U2Ckk/edit?usp=sharing Motion from Larry Conklin to appoint two independant directors to the OWASP Board] (Motion by Larry, sponsored by Andrew van der Stock, 10 mins)
  
 
==Announcements==
 
==Announcements==

Latest revision as of 22:03, 11 October 2016

Time

Location

Teleconference Information:

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/861328838

International Toll Free Calling Information


Attendance Tracker

Board Meeting Attendance Tracker

Notice of Recording

  • Notice to all attendees - board meetings are recorded and publicly available as of March, 2013
  • Joining the call acknowledges your awareness of recording and consent to be recorded and public dissemination of the recording.


Meeting Minutes

- September meeting minutes

Reading Material

It is a requirement as a board member to fully read all material prior to the start of the meeting

  • Financial statement
- Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016
- September financial package
  • FY 17 Corporate Sponsorship Rates
- Increase corporate sponsorship levels

Meeting Agenda

Call to Order /OWASP Mission

  • Administrative: List of attendees and Agenda bashing (only if last-minute changes to the agenda are needed) (5 min)

Reports

Chair's Report - Matt Konda

  • Developer Summit
  • Bill Approvals, Taxes, Staff Meetings
  • OWASP Glue Project

Vice Chair's Report - Josh Sokol

TBA

Treasurer Report - Andrew van der Stock

  • Financial statement
- Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016
- September financial package

Based on this information, we are likely to have a reasonable year as long as income is realized in the FY16 financial year. We were looking at about a $150k loss for FY16, and it's currently looking at around $30k loss, which might even improve on that depending on the final training, sponsorship and ticket sales of AppSec USA, and getting on top of our aged receivables, which I believe is a prioritization thing rather than structural.

I am due to meet Tom Pappas on Tuesday during the day. If you want to be a part of the FY 17 budget, please come along - I welcome both existing Board and Board candidates to this discussion. As we are likely to have a near non-profit year, I will be holding the line on unbudgeted expenses if I am re-elected and if the Board will continue to have me as treasurer in 2017. For those Board members with a big project or initiative NOW is the time to get your initiative funded or wait until 2018.

Chapter funds continue to increase. As previously agreed in December 2015's board meeting, I will be sweeping unbudgeted funds from chapters in December 2016. This should become an annual activity to encourage proper financial planning by our larger chapters. I continue to encourage chapter leaders to come up with a plan that is strategically helpful to OWASP's core mission rather than just gold plating their chapter, such as outreach, funding scholarships at Universities, holding a local or regional events, encouraging their members to join and fund on projects of interest to that chapter, and so on. Chapters with a balance of over $5k should present a budget and plan for their funds by December 1. I will personally reach out to these 20-30 affected chapters during October, but would love interested Board members to also help in this process.

Depending on our profitability and end of year bank balance, I am leaning towards a hire of the ED in the early part of 2017. We should be strategic about this role - I personally feel the lack of a financially savvy ED has held us back in 2016, which is reflected in our likely near loss if not zero profit for FY16, especially when considering the financial success of FY15. I encourage the Board to be on the look out for an ED candidate who has strong non-profit financial management, grant writing, and fund raising experience to help us jump to the next level.

Lastly, I will be talking about changes we need to make to bring us into line with good practice at Charity Navigator. We have hit the benchmark lower limit, and FY17 is an audit year for 2016, which will appear in Charity Navigator. If we wish to receive funds from various grant making organisations, we need to strongly align with these good practices, some of which are very simple, some of which are less so. The main one is to make sure it is ultra clear to anyone that our spend on mission is > 80% of our expenses. I will be discussing this with Tom Pappas on Tuesday, as it probably means that we need to make sure that staff costs are allocated to budgets, or demonstrably so. I think we can easily make these benchmarks depending on our financial treatment of expenses.

Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom

Nothing to report

Updated from Members at Large - Tom Brennan, Michael Coates, and Tobias Gondrom

  • Coates - Chapters

TBA

  • Carter - Governance

TBA

  • Brennan - Projects

- Website

Staff Reports

Old Business

All active board proposals are listed here

  • Motion to approve changes to FY17 membership rates (Andrew)
- https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1RBy7yRl-qVo49lDL1JeKmhwLElcazrJ7tY4OO5Wwb6U/edit?usp=sharing

New Business

  • Discussion on FY17 budget with Tom Pappas (up to 45 minutes)

Tom Pappas and AJV will talk you through our budget process and how to get your budget requests through.

  • Discussion on FY17 strategic goals (also includes Tom Pappas) (up to 45 minutes)

This will impact our decisions about budget requests

  • Discussion on unbranded chapters receiving funds (Andrew van der Stock, 10 minutes)
  • 2017 Virtual AppSec

Example of what we are doing with Mark Miller with All Day Devops

We have a number of chapters who hold joint meetings, which is fine, but for them to receive money, they should be branded as OWASP meetings, have signed the chapter leader handbook, and are an acknowledged (and recorded in Salesforce) chapter leader. Otherwise we are funding other organisations to hold their meetings, or worse set themselves up to become independent chapters. I'd like to have a discussion with my fellow Board members to alter the Chapter handbook to ensure that funds can only be disbursed to branded chapter meetings, with requests coming from OWASP chapter leaders who have signed the Chapter Leader paperwork.

Action Items

Announcements

TBA

Adjournment

Motion to close meeting