This site is the archived OWASP Foundation Wiki and is no longer accepting Account Requests.
To view the new OWASP Foundation website, please visit https://owasp.org
OWASP Security Ninja Project
OWASP Security Ninja
This is where you need to add your more robust project description. A project description should outline the purpose of the project, and the value it provides to application security. Ideally, project descriptions should be written in such a way that there is no question what value the project provides to the software security community. This section will be seen and used in various places within the Projects Portal. Poorly written project descriptions therefore detract from a project’s visibility, and project leaders should ensure that the description is meaningful.
OWASP Security Ninja educates, empowers, reaches, and recognizes builders and breakers in web application security.
Educates — providing the content to expand their application security knowledge Empowers — opens doors and minds to new facets of appsec Reaches — connects with those who have had no historical appreciation for security Recognizes — provides recognition for those that expand their minds into appsec
OWASP Security Ninja is free to use. Its licensing is dependent on several factors:
The OWASP Security Ninja code will be stored on GitHub shortly.
News and Events
What is the problem statement that this project is trying to solve?
Builders, breakers, and defenders lack:
- general application security knowledge
- appreciation for the evolving threat landscape
- experience with secure development practices and tools
- motivation to volunteer to improve security
What is the mission of this project?
OWASP Security Ninja educates, empowers, reaches, and recognizes builders, breakers, and defenders in web application security.
Who is the target consumer for this project?
The target audience begins with the OWASP faithful, the builders and breakers that are already part of the OWASP community. Our secondary audiences are educators / students and industry. We see the real benefit for this program in reaching builders and breakers in industry and the next generation studying now.
What roles / specializations are needed for this project?
We need folks who can perform any or many of the following roles:
- Security learning module content creator (security subject matter expert)
- Content reviewer
- Web interface / full stack developer
- Database developer
- AWS setup and administration
- Graphic designer
- Psychometrician -- fancy name for someone who writes fair test questions
The OWASP Security Ninja project is in need of some additional people to list on this site!
The first contributors to the project are:
The OWASP Security Ninja program is a multi-phase, multi-year undertaking. The OWASP White and Yellow Belts require the creation of a series of video based learning modules. The Green, Brown, and Black belts require the creation of an activity submission process, including a tracking and review component.
Identify Project Vision & Strategy (November 2015 - January 2016)
- Scope and Governance (January 2016)
- Initial project summit (January 2016)
OWASP White Belt (January 2016 - September 2016)
- Content creation (January - March 2016)
- Content recording (March 2016)
- Infrastructure code and build (January - September 2016)
- Alpha (July 2016)
- Second project summit @ AppSec EU (July 2016)
- Beta (August 2016)
- Launch of content at AppSec USA (September 2016)
OWASP Yellow Belt (October 2016 - September 2017)
- Content creation (October 2016 - March 2017)
- Content recording (April 2017)
- Infrastructure update (January - September 2017)
- Alpha (July 2017)
- Beta (August 2017)
- Launch of content at AppSec USA (September 2017)
OWASP Green Belt, OWASP Brown Belt, OWASP Black Belt (October 2017 - September 2018)
- Infrastructure update (January - July 2018)
- Finalize governance and oversight (January - March 2018)
- Alpha (July 2018)
- Beta (August 2018)
- Launch of concept and completion of initial scope (September 2018)
Then the cycle begins again, with a refresh of OWASP White Belt.
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?