OWASP SE - Social Engineering
The OWASP SE - Social Engineering Project
This project has the purpose of documenting "Social Engineering" with open accessible and valid data about relevant topics and related questions.
Some of these questions are:
Let's start to document the unexplored areas of "people and security" (hic sunt dragones) on the world map of security research with knowledge and affiliated areas.
Almost everywhere nowadays, the almost "mythical power" of Social Engineering is a prominent topic in discussions and often uttered in awe.
Could it be, that it is just a vague concept on purpose? Cherry picking successful exploitation of people. Perhaps just like snake oil?
Also interesting, is it becoming a type of brand?
Let's collect material and questions for an exploration and produce results like a cheat sheet: "what we know" and "what we don't know"
What is the OWASP SE - Social Engineering Project?
Basically a platform connecting and collecting researchers and data to shed light upon hearsay about Social Engineering or manipulation of people.
As a dedicated team of volunteers, we (yes your are invited) might be able to produce a knowledge base and references for interested people.
Sorry, no presentation so far.
Sorry, working on it.
Downloads is not ready yet.
News and Events
Meet me (Herr Schmidt) personally at the trade fair it-sa in Nuremberg, Germany from 10-12.10.2017, just drop me a note.
Sorry, no print so far.
This project is currently in stage 1 - editing wiki
- Yet another Social Engineering site?
- Yes and no
- Yes, the title of the project references to Social Engineering as it is a more popular term.
- No, we focus on reliable data and discussions about manipulation of people. Others did already a very good job showing how to exploit people.
- You are right to believe, that better tutorials etc. exist. Please keep in mind we are an open documentation project, not a sales pitch.
- Yes and no
- So, what will I find here?
- We will start collecting input, your input, and publish it subsequently.
- Thus we are enabled to discuss it and try to separate truth from illusion.
- Okay, what is that precise?
- Scientists openly publish their results, that we can use to point out to and connect the dots about "what we know" and "what we don't know".
- There is no such thing as free lunch.
- You are right, someone has to pay for it - thanks to your contributions for OWASP, it is possible to stay independent and encourage volunteers around the world to contribute.
- What do you get out of it?
- Have you ever been to an OWASP Meeting? Go there and have a good time - same thing here, but from the couch or wherever we are.
How can I participate in your project?
All you have to do is make the Project Leader's aware of your available time to contribute to the project. It is also important to let the Leader's know how you would like to contribute and pitch in to help the project meet it's goals and milestones. There are many different ways you can contribute to an OWASP Project, but communication with the leads is key.
.. Well that about sums it up.
If I am not a programmer can I participate in your project?
Yes, that what this is about. A good starting point is a look at our description and road map to come up with something.
Quoting Sir Isaac Newton in 1675 "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
First of all, thanks to you dear reader for taking your time reading this, perhaps some of it may prove helpful?
It is amazing to find out and read about security researchers all over the world. And, as this is an inclusive project, we thank all those undeceiving researchers and hackers laying the groundwork for this.
We want to make sure to precisely name all contributors, also as a matter of transparency and reliability.
The first contributors to the project were:
- Setup Wiki – develop guidelines for participation
- Setup mailing list - connect researchers and interested people worldwide
- Improve Wiki – start discussion about ethics
- Improve Wiki – provide methods of Social Engineering
- Improve Wiki – known research, literature and best practices
- Setup working groups – worksheets for consumers
- Improve mailing list – Evaluate current structure: is it sufficient or is adjustment necessary?
- Peer review – worksheets for consumers
- Publication – worksheets for consumers
- Presentation at conferences – spread the word, distribute knowledge
For us, the most precious appreciation possible, is your contribution of thoughts, time and recommendation. A good starting point for you is a look at our description and road map
What is always a great way of involvement is support with
- input and data
- subsequently structuring input and data
Sorry, still in progress.
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?