This site is the archived OWASP Foundation Wiki and is no longer accepting Account Requests.
To view the new OWASP Foundation website, please visit https://owasp.org

Difference between revisions of "OWASP EU Summit 2008 Working Sessions"

From OWASP
Jump to: navigation, search
(<font color="white"> ISWG: Browser Security </font>)
(Replacing page with '* All the information was transferred to the OWASP EU Summit Portugal 2008. * Please check and change it as you find best.')
 
(24 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== THIS IS STILL under heavy UPDATES (i.e. work in progress) ==
+
* All the information was transferred to the [[OWASP EU Summit 2008|OWASP EU Summit Portugal 2008]].   
 
+
* Please check and change it as you find best.
== WORKING SESSIONS - November 3rd, 4th & 5th (Mon, Tue & Wed) ==
 
'''Monday'''
 
* OWASP ISWG: Browser Security (part 1)  - 4h  . . .  (ISWG = Intrinsic Security Working Group)
 
 
 
'''Tuesday'''
 
* Working Sessions Operational model - 1h , ALL to attend
 
* OWASP Strategic Planning for 2009 - 3h
 
* OWASP Tool's Projects (consolidation action-plan) - 3h
 
* OWASP ISWG: Web Application Framework Security (part 1) - 3h . . .  (ISWG = Intrinsic Security Working Group)
 
* OWASP Documentation Projects (consolidation action-plan) - 3h
 
* Winter Of Code 2009 - 4h
 
* OWASP .NET Project - 2h
 
* Two-way Internationalization of OWASP Content - 2h
 
 
 
'''Wednesday'''
 
* OWASP Top 10 2009 - 2h
 
* OWASP Education Project - 2h
 
* ESAPI Project - 4h
 
* Code Review (next version) - 2h
 
* Testing Guide (next version) -2h
 
* OWASP Certifications - 2h
 
* OWASP Application Security Desk Reference (ASDR) - 4h
 
* OWASP Intra Governmental Affairs - 2h
 
* OWASP Awards - 2h
 
* OWASP Website -2h
 
* OWASP Advisory Board (private presentation) - 2h
 
* OWASP CD/DVD - 2 h
 
* OWASP Board Meeting (public session) - 3h
 
 
 
== WORKING SESSIONS - November 4rd & 5th (Tue & Wed) (DETAILS)==
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP Top 10 2009 </font>====
 
 
 
|-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' {name}<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' {name}<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" or "Invited Participants + Attendees" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* {objective 1}
 
* {objective 2}
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* {outcome 1}
 
* {outcome 2}
 
* {outcome 3}
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" | 
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP Strategic Planning </font>====
 
 
 
|-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' OWASP Board<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' OWASP Board, Kate & Paulo<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" or "Invited Participants + Attendees" <br/>
 
'''Agenda'''
 
* OWASP Governance (e.g. International guidelines, Board member confirmation)
 
* Projects (e.g. Organize and rate projects, Development plans,Documentation
 
* Chapter Governance (e.g. Budgets, Activities)
 
* OWASP Future (e.g. Action Plan for 2009, Investment recommendation, 5 year Outlook)
 
* Global Community Outreach (PR Issues, Pro Bono opportunities)
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* {objective 1}
 
* {objective 2}
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* {outcome 1}
 
* {outcome 2}
 
* {outcome 3}
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP Education Project</font>====
 
 
 
|-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' Sebastien Deleersnyder<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' Martin Knobloch + TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* How to improve knowledge transfer from OWASP projects towards the community
 
* How to create training material (lessons, classes, courses) from OWASP project material?
 
* How to set up an OWASP education baseline
 
* How to setup an OWASP Boot Camp
 
* How to connect to organisation to promote OWASP education content: e.g. universities, other non-profit (or profit?) education organisations
 
* How to organize the OWASP / Conference trainings to make them the best in the world?
 
* Can we integrate this into OWASP certification projects?
 
* How to setup an OWASP Boot Camp?
 
* How to create lessons, classes, courses from OWASP project material?
 
'''Additional Details:'''...<br/>
 
There is plenty of knowledge available inside the OWASP community. This is spread via the OWASP AppSec Conferences and the
 
local chapter meetings, not to forget the books available now. Another, very important way to distribute the available knowledge is to teach! In plenty presentations knowledge is put into slides to share it.
 
The next step is to reuse the information of those presentations and create training material. In a Boot Camp for example, it's not only about telling how to break stuff, but let the attendees break it themselves. Also let them fix the problems, with guidance of the experienced!
 
 
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* Project Outcome: proposal for the Winter of Code
 
* Guildeline about creating training material
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> Winter Of Code 2009 </font>====
 
 
 
|-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' Paulo Coimbra<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Define the operation model for the next OWASP Season of Code (the Winter of Code 08)
 
* Identify which areas should receive priority selection
 
* Create 'virtual teams' from the attendees and allocate them to key projects
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* OWASP Winter of Code 08 plan
 
* # of projects for immediate approval (assuming the delivery team is all set)
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> Enterprise Security API Project </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' Jeff Williams<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' Arshan Dabirsiaghi<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Invited Participants + Attendees" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Introduce everyone to the idea and cost-benefits of an ESAPI
 
*
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* A volunteer to lead the 'marketing' campaign for ESAPI
 
* Prioritized list of marketing ideas for the ESAPI concept
 
* Prioritized list of ideas for improving the API
 
*
 
* {outcome 3}
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> ISWG: Browser Security </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:''' Arshan Dabirsiaghi <br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Invited Participants + Attendees" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Discuss ongoing HTML5 security research
 
* Discuss further ramifications of HTML5 (cross-site XHR, Access-Control, client storage, etc.)
 
* Take a look at security critical areas and discuss possible browser improvements
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
ISWG = Intrinsic Security Working Group<br/>
 
Browsers to invite: IE, FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* OWASP Top 10 Browser Wishlist
 
* Actionable advice and technical arguments for HTML5 featureset
 
* Establish OWASP points-of-contact for W3C
 
<br/>
 
'''Agenda:'''
 
<b>Time: 30 mins</b>
 
Introduction<br/>
 
<b>Time: 2 hrs 30 mins</b>
 
Action Item: Identify 5 Key Browser Risks and select the top 3 <br/>
 
<b>Time: 2 hrs 30 mins</b>
 
Address issues in the current HTML 5 specifications<br/>
 
<b>Time: 1 hr 30 mins</b>
 
Build a proposal to target key players in the industry and ask for their support<br/>
 
<b>Time: 30  mins </b>
 
Assign point leads, roles and responsibilities
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> ISWG: Web Application Framework Security </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Arshan Dabirsiaghi<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Invited Participants + Attendees" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Discuss gaps and patterns in gaps in security coverage across frameworks
 
* Discuss possible solutions for security areas
 
*
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
ISWG = Intrinsic Security Working Group<br/>
 
Frameworks to invite: .NET, J2EE, Spring, Struts, ASP.NET MVC, RoR, PHP, etc.<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* Actionable advice for each individual frameworks
 
* Identify points-of-contact for frameworks
 
* {outcome 3}
 
 
 
<br/>
 
'''Agenda:'''
 
<b>Time: 30 mins</b>
 
Introduction<br/>
 
<b>Time: 2hrs 30 mins</b>
 
Action Item: Discuss current security issues with common Web Programming Languages such as:<br/>
 
PHP, Java, Ruby ...<br/>
 
<b>Time: 2hrs 30 mins</b>
 
Action Item: Discuss current security issues with common Web Programming Frameworks such as:<br/>
 
Spring, Struts, Cake, RoR ...<br/>
 
<b>Time: 2hrs </b>
 
Build a matrix of all the security features and possible solutions<br/>
 
<b>Time: 30mins </b>
 
Assign point leads, roles and responsibilities to contact leaders of the communities involved and
 
work with them to address gaps and patterns discussed.
 
 
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP .NET Project </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Mark Roxberry<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' To be selected at the working session.<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Discuss audience and purpose of the OWASP .NET project
 
* Prepare OWASP .NET neutrality statement
 
* Discuss .NET and Mono SDL Best Practices and OWASP tools and documentation
 
* Discuss Vulnerability Research in the .NET and Mono Ecosystem
 
* Prepare OWASP .NET Project Roadmap for 2009
 
 
 
'''Additional Details:'''<br/>
 
* Objective 1: Establish purpose and audience of the OWASP .NET project.  There are lots of resources and tools, why do we need OWASP .NET, who are our audiences, how do we reach them.
 
* Objective 2: Statement to OWASP .NET's purpose.  As we work closely with Microsoft folks, they've discussed providing content, which is great, but we need to clearly state OWASP .NET's neutrality.  The Summit is a good place for this action.  I will have a draft for discussion prior to the working session
 
* Objective 3: OWASP sponsored vulnerability research / web application review / guidance on .NET/Mono projects, like Sharepoint, Silverlight, Community Server,  Wikipedia Search (Mono), DekiWiki (Mono) etc.
 
* Objective 5: OWASP .NET Project Roadmap for 2009.  I will have a draft for discussion. 
 
 
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* Public Statement for OWASP Summit of OWASP .NET purpose, vendor neutrality and audience
 
* OWASP Initiatives for OWASP .NET Project in 2009
 
 
 
 
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> Code Review (next version) </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Eoin Keary<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* {objective 1}: Discuss next version of code review guide.
 
* {objective 2}: Discuss industry requirements for code review.
 
* {objective 3}: Discuss academic versus practical rammifications of guide.
 
* {objective 4}: Brainstorm: Ideas for integration with other projects and tools.
 
* {objective 5}: Develop a roadmap for the code review guide: Technologies, approaches
 
'''Additional Details:'''<br/>
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* {outcome 1}
 
* {outcome 2}
 
* {outcome 3}
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP Awards</font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Colin Watson'''<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Discuss whether there should be OWASP Awards
 
* Discuss options for undertaking an awards process
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''<br/>
 
Should OWASP run an awards event?<br/>
 
What are the opportunities for public relations, marketing and sponsorship?<br/>
 
What categories should there be to honour people, projects and products?<br/>
 
Should the swards be a separate event or be part of another event?<br/>
 
What are the risks of running an awards event?<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* Decision whether to progress with OWASP Awards
 
* Identify actions to progress if decision is "yes" or "maybe"
 
* List of further information required
 
* {outcome 4}
 
|-
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
 
 
==== <font color="white">OWASP Intra Governmental Affairs </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Dhruv Soi'''<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' Puneet Mehta<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* {objective 1}
 
* {objective 2}
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''<br/>
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* {outcome 1}
 
* {outcome 2}
 
* {outcome 3}
 
|-
 
|}
 
 
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
==== <font color="white">OWASP CD/DVD </font>====
 
 
 
  |-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Matt Tesauro'''<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' TBD<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': "Everybody is a Participant" <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* Resolve possible confusion over various Live CD projects
 
* Determine the duration of OWASP branding for follow-on releases of older projects (Also applies to OWASP projects in general)
 
* Discuss an OWASP Project Life Cycle for Live CDs (Also applies to OWASP projects in general)
 
'''Additional Details:'''<br/>
 
Googling either "OWASP LiveCD" or "OWASP Live CD" leads to multiple projects both old and new.  For someone not familiar with the Live CD history, determining the "real" Live CD is confusing at best.  This topic arose from comments by a review of the current Live CD 2008 project  [http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Project_Information:template_Live_CD_2008_Project_-_Final_Review_-_Second_Reviewer_-_F here]<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* A graceful method to handle current and future OWASP Live CD releases
 
* Determine the duration of OWASP branding for Live CDs (possibly better scoped for general OWASP projects discussion)
 
* Determine an OWASP Project Life Cycle for Live CDs (possibly better scoped for general OWASP projects discussion)
 
|-
 
|}
 
 
 
{| style="width:80%" border="0" align="center"
 
! align="center" style="background:#4058A0; color:white" |
 
==== <font color="white"> OWASP ASDR </font>====
 
 
 
|-
 
| style="background:#F2F2F2" |
 
'''Working Session Lead:'''Leonardo Cavallari Militelli<br/>
 
'''Working Session Team:''' {name}<br/>
 
'''Working Sessions Organization Model''': Invited Participants + Attendees <br/>
 
'''Objectives:'''
 
* {objective 1}
 
* {objective 2}
 
* {objective 3}
 
'''Additional Details:'''
 
...<br/>
 
'''Projected Outcomes:'''
 
* {outcome 1}
 
* {outcome 2}
 
* {outcome 3}
 
  |-
 
|}
 
 
 
== Draft notes==
 
 
 
 
 
Note: there needs to be a 1h session on the 1st day of working sessions (Tue) to explain the rules of the game, how everything will work and what is expected from each WS (Working Session)
 
 
 
* Working Sessions can meet simultaneously or by some method of time allotment (depends on scheduling and priority)
 
 
 
* Open membership, first order of business is to confirm chair and secretary of group (We can get this setup  and discuss on the lists now, so we are running when we get to the Summit)
 
* Dinis, Paulo suggested  that working groups will produce OWASP Initiatives, Statements, Decisions.
 
* OWASP Initiatives, Statements and Decisions can be distributed in electronic form prior to the Summit or a Working Group assembly.
 
**  Additionally, time should be allocated for anything new at the actual Working Group assembly. (Again, we can get the ball rolling on this now and have discussion and motion at Summit).
 
 
 
** Simple Majority to Pass Motions (I can distribute a Roberts Rules of Order - Lite prior to the meeting to the chair)
 
 
 
* Board Reserves Veto and Tabling Authority at the Summit
 
 
 
* Working Groups:
 
** OWASP Top 10 2009
 
** OWASP Governance (e.g. International guidelines, Board member confirmation)
 
** Projects (e.g. Organize and rate projects, Development plans,Documentation
 
** Chapter Governance (e.g. Budgets, Activities)
 
** OWASP Future (e.g. Action Plan for 2009, Investment recommendation, 5 year Outlook)
 
** Web Vulnerability Assessment (Code Review/Testing)
 
** Global Community Outreach (PR Issues, Pro Bono opportunities)
 
** Web Technology (e.g. Browser security wishlist, architectural recommendations, technology recommendations)
 
 
 
=== Agenda ===
 
 
 
* Opening Statement
 
* Motions on the table (1st, 2nd, Vote)
 
* New Business (new motions, statements for record)
 
* Closing Statement
 
 
 
*As the first ever of this format, we should invite working group chairs and discuss a potential list of motions to get them started (specifically for
 
financially related motions, e.g. Dinis mentioned $200K USD investment plan as an example in an earlier e-mail). What kinds of things to start with. Then they can put the ideas to a list or lists for discussion prior to the meeting. 
 
 
 
 
 
=== Working Sessions outcomes ===
 
 
 
 
 
* '''OWASP Initiates''':  "Spend xyz on Project yyy" , "Plan to organize all OWASP tools / books" , "Stategy to organize and rate ALL OWASP projects", "6 month Development plan for EASPI"
 
* '''Public Statements''': "Here is the OWASP Top 10 2009", "This is what OWASP's position is on xxx" , "Browser security wish-list for Browsers (IE, Mozilla, Safari and Opera)"
 
* '''OWASP Decisions''': "Action plan for OWASP in 2009", "Hire x developers to support projects", "next 200k USD investment plan", "OWASP governance and vote of 6th Board Member", "Internaltional OWASP non-profit organizations guidelines",
 
 
 
=== Summit ===
 
 
 
* Should a Board Member chair?
 
 
 
* Agenda
 
 
 
** Opening Statement (this is the first Summit, so this is a special thing)
 
 
 
** Overall Summit meeting can be an informational meeting about Working group motions.  Board can approve, veto or table motions from Working
 
Groups.  However, if doing this at the Summit, there may be controversial
 
issues where the Board rejects a motion.  Each working group has a spot on
 
this agenda.
 
 
 
** OWASP Motions not from Working Groups, allocate time for this.
 
 
 
** Closing Statement
 

Latest revision as of 17:49, 5 October 2008