Category:OWASP Tools Project
This Project has been identified as an orphaned one. If you find interest in assuming its lead, please contact the Global Projects Committee.
Welcome to the OWASP Tools Project
The OWASP Tools Project's goal is to provide unbiased, practical information and guidance about application security tools. As of November 2007 your project leader is: Larry Suto and team members are being put together to revise this project.
Product testing will be performed based on defined criteria that will measure the usability performance and positive validation on “red herring” web applications OWASP Site Generator this model common systems and unique systems in the wild.
Such tools are generally used to either help:
- Protect Applications
- Find Vulnerabilities in Applications
- Test Other Application Security Tools
- Educate People on Application Security Topics
|WARNING: This project is NOT to advertise or promote tools, just to review them|
The categories of tools currently addressed by this project are (or will be):
- Web Application Firewalls (WAFs)
- Application Vulnerability Scanning Tools
- Application Penetration Testing Tools
- Source Code Analysis Tools
- Test and Educational Applications
- Application Security Analysis Support Tools
Types of Tools
- Tools from OWASP
- All Application Security Tools
- Category:Non-OWASP Open Tool
- Category:Commercial Tool
The goal of this project is to provide the following information (at a minimum) in each tool category:
- Description of this tool category
- General strengths and weaknesses of tools in this category
- Important selection criteria for comparing tools within the category (e.g. ease of use, performance, cost, likelihood of false positives)
- List of all OWASP Tools in this category
- List of other well known open source tools in this category
- List of commercial tools in this category provided by OWASP Members
- List of other well known commercial tools in this category
General Application Security Tool Resources
- In Jan 2006, Dr. Holger Peine finished a survey of application security tools that can be found at: http://www.iese.fraunhofer.de/download/Security-Checker-Tools-for-Web-Applications.pdf. It covers various open source and commercial tools in many of the areas discussed in this project.
- The NIST SAMATE - Software Assurance Metrics And Tool Evaluation project has an ambitious goal of creating a large set of application security test data and then assessing the capabilities of a wide variety of application security tools.
- At the 3rd AppSec OWASP Conference, Arian Evans did a presentation on Software Security Quality: Testing Taxonomy & Testing Tools Classification that lists LOTS of the tools in the application security space from different categories, and some comparitive information on Web Application Security Scanning products.
Feedback and Participation
We hope you find the OWASP Tools Project useful. Please contribute back to the project by sending your comments, questions, and suggestions to : Tom Brennan
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
Pages in category "OWASP Tools Project"
This category contains only the following page.