Category:OWASP Live CD Project
|Project Name||OWASP Live CD Project|
|Short Project Description||The OWASP Live CD is a project that collects some of the best open source security projects in a single environment. Web developers, testers and security professionals can boot from this Live CD and have access to a full security testing suite. This allows its users to test for various security issues in web applications and web sites. The OWASP Live CD also contains documentation and an interactive learning environment (Web Goat) to enhance users web application security knowledge. This presentation will cover the current state of the OWASP Live CD as well as the plans for future developments. The OWASP Live CD is free for commercial or noncommercial use.|
|Key Project Information||Project Leader
GNU Free Documentation License 1.2
OWASP SoC 08
|Release Status||Main Links||Related Projects|
The OWASP Live CD project was originally started to update the previous OWASP Live CD 2007. The project met the September 15th, 2008 deadline for the OWASP Summer of Code (SoC) and produced its first release - the SoC release. Since the completion of the SoC, the project has made two new releases:
- the Portugal release (Dec 12, 2008)
- the AustinTerrier release (Feb 10, 2009)
Even with the Summer of Code and two releases complete, the project continues to add functionality, tools and further polish the existing Live CD environment. Content for the OWASP Live CD is both on this site and on the documentation and downloads site.
Several sub-projects have sprung from this project. Currently, a version of the OWASP Live CD installed to a virtual hard drive (VMware) is available and work continues on making other versions of the project available including a bootable USB, portable VM installation, an installation for the Asus Eee PC. These are either downloadable files or instructions on how to create the alternate delivery mechanisms.
For historical purposes, the original application for the SoC is available here for the curious.
Screenshots of the S0C release!
The overarching goal for this project is to make application security tools and documentation easily available. I see this as a great complement to OWASP's goal to make application security visible.
The project has several other goals going forward:
- Provide a showcase for great OWASP tools and documentation
- Provide the best, freely distributable application security tools in an easy to use package
- Ensure that the tools provided are as easy to use as possible.
- Continue to add documentation and tools to the OWASP Live CD
- Continue to document how to use the tools and how the tool modules where created.
- Align the tools provided with the OWASP Testing Guide
There were also some design goals, particularly, this should be a live CD which is
- easy for the users to keep updated
- easy for the project lead to keep updated
- easy to produce releases (I'm thinking quarterly releases going forward)
- focused on just web application testing - not general Pen Testing.
(For general Pen Testing, the gold standard is Backtrack.)
Original SoC Goals are still available for the curious.
These are links to mostly off-site information while the project migrates to this page:
ISO Download Site and Documentation Wiki
The current release ISO is named "AustinTerrier" and is available here.
The following general documentation exists:
- how I created the live CD
- Making Modules
- Add modules to a running system
- Starting the SSH daemon on the Live CD
- Checking sources Checking sources
Thanks for you patience.