2018 Global Board of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission.
- 1 About the OWASP Foundation
- 2 Election Timeline
- 3 Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
- 4 Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
- 5 Meet the Candidates and listen to their interviews
- 6 Results
- 7 Call for Questions
- 8 Honorary Membership
- 9 Who Can Vote?
- 10 How Do I Vote?
- 11 Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- 12 Election FAQ
- 13 Communications
About the OWASP Foundation
- About OWASP
- Read the OWASP Foundation ByLaws
- Review the OWASP Board Meetings Monthly Board meetings, voting history and topics
- Notify the 3 current board member(s) whose term is up - July 17, 2018
- Call for Candidates Opens - July 19, 2018 SUBMIT HERE
- Honorary Membership Self Nomination - Open year round SUBMIT HERE
- Submission for Questions From the Community for the Candidate Interviews - Opens July 19, 2018 SUBMIT HERE
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 30, 2018
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 30, 2018
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - August 8, 2018
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - August 8, 2018
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - August 8, 2018
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - August 20, 2018
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - August 20, 2018
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - August 20, 2018
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - August 29, 2018
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - August 29, 2018
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - August 29, 2018
- Deadline for Call for Candidates Closes - August 31, 2018
- Deadline for Questions from the Community - August 31, 2018
- Verification of candidates - September 1 to September 8, 2018
- Candidates announced via email and social media - September 10, 2018
- The 6-7 top questions from the community will be selected & shared with Candidates - September 10, 2018
- Scheduling of group interviews - September 10 to September 14, 2018
- Group interviews will be held - September 14 to 21
- Deadline for interview recordings to be completed - September 21, 2018
- Recordings posted on the election wiki page - On or before September 30, 2018
- Email/Social Media notifying the community the recordings are posted - On or before September 30, 2018
- Paid Membership Deadline - September 30, 2018
- Voting opens - October 8
- Voting closes - November 8
- Results shared with all candidates - November 9, 2018 (morning per US Eastern time)
- Results shared via email and social media - November 9, 2018 (evening per US Eastern time)
Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers who serve a two year term. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. Members of the Global Board of Directors are responsible for setting the strategic direction of the organization and ensuring the financial integrity of the Foundation.
Detailed information on meeting requirements, roles and responsibilities within the board, term limits, and elections is found in the OWASP Foundation bylaws. The Board of Directors Code of Conduct and details of the orientation and on-boarding process are found on our Governance page.
Please reach out to our current Board Members if you'd like additional information on what it's like to be a Global Board member at the OWASP Foundation.
Additional Responsibilities that the International Board of Directors must adhere to can be found on the Foundation Governance page
Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
You need to be an OWASP individual paid member in good standing for a twelve (12) month period of time prior to September 30, 2018. Candidates are required to create a wiki page that includes: a bio, current membership status, a brief description of why you feel you are the best candidate, and why you would like to be elected. You will be contacted on September 4, 2018 to schedule a group audio interview. If you are interesting in running for a seat on the OWASP Global Board please submit your intention along with the requirements listed above. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP. The Call for
Candidates is opened on July 18, 2018. SUBMIT HERE CLOSED
If you have submitted and want to review or update your submission, instructions are available here.
Meet the Candidates and listen to their interviews
Links to the interviews will be posted here on or before September 30, 2018
3 seats are open for this election
- Bil Corry - Interview Recording
- Richard Greenberg - Interview Recording
- Martin Knobloch - Interview Recording
- Kishore Kumar
- Ofer Maor - Interview Recording
- Gary Robinson - Interview Recording
- Simon Whittaker (withdrawn)
Will be posted here after the election closes on November 9, 2018
Call for Questions
The 2018 Global Board of Directors election will start accepting questions for the candidates on July 19, 2018. If you are interested in helping lead a global community that strives on making the world a safer place, then please consider submitting question for the candidates for the OWASP Global Board of Directors.
From September 12 to 21, all individuals who submitted a candidacy will be interviewed, and asked a series of questions about why they feel they should be elected. The questions they are asked come from you! We will take the top 6-7 questions and those will be the questions used during the candidate interviews. You may submit your own question(s) and/or give a "thumbs up" to any existing question previously submitted by your fellow community members.
The Call for Questions is open! SUBMIT HERE CLOSED
Questions asked of the candidates:
- Where do you want OWASP to focus to move forward?
- What will be your primary focus if elected: AppSec Conference/ Local events / Projects / Chapters?
- What should be OWASP's primary focus in terms of sections of IT field : Developer / Testers / System Administrators / DevOps?
- If asked to put a list of 3 Tangible / achievable targets for next 1 year that you would want to focus on what would they be?
- What is your strategy to keep the community active and motivated with OWASP?
- What steps would you take to increase the funding and staff at OWASP to keep pace with the increase in OWASP's community size?
- If you had a magic wand and could instantly change one thing at OWASP, what would that be?
Who is eligible for Honorary Membership?
- OWASP Chapter Leaders - The OWASP Chapter MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation 6 months prior to September 30, 2018.
- OWASP Project Leaders - The OWASP Project MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation 6 months prior to September 30, 2018.
**NOTE** If you are an OWASP leader that does not have a current paid Individual Membership or current Honorary Membership on file, but meets the requirements (see eligibility above) for Honorary Membership, then you MUST APPLY for an Honorary Membership in order to vote in this year's election. The Honorary Membership request form is available HERE. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP.
Who Can Vote?
OWASP paid Individual Members, paid Corporate Members and Honorary Members registered as of September 30, 2018 will have (1) vote per seat (there are 3 seats up for this election).
How Do I Vote?
On October 8, 2018, eligible voting members will receive an email to their registered email address from [email protected] with subject "BALLOT FOR OWASP 2018 Board Election"
This email will include a specific link for you to cast your vote. Please do NOT share this link with anyone. It is a specific link JUST FOR YOU!
Additionally, eligible voting members will also receive an email from the OWASP Foundation notifying them that their ballot has been sent. In the instance that they did not receive a ballot they are asked to contact us immediately.
Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- Read the Membership FAQ CLICK HERE
If you have a question about the current election please CLICK HERE.
- Where can I find communication to the OWASP Community about the upcoming election?
- Answer: We will try to publish announcements and key milestone reminders to as many communication channels as possible, including the OWASP Blog, OWASP Connector, OWASP Leader's List and this Wiki Page. Please feel free to help us communicate the message, by re-posting, re-tweeting, or sharing with the OWASP Chapter, Project, or Initiatives you are involved with.
- Where can I find information on last years Board election?
- July 17, 2018 - Email sent to current OWASP Foundation Board members whose terms are ending in 2018.