2017 Global Board of Directors Election
- 1 2017 Global Board of Directors Election
- 1.1 About OWASP
- 1.2 Election Timeline
- 1.3 Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
- 1.4 Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
- 1.5 Meet the Candidates and listen to their interviews
- 1.6 Results
- 1.7 Call for Questions
- 1.8 Honorary Membership
- 1.9 Who Can Vote?
- 1.10 How Do I Vote?
- 1.11 Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- 1.12 Election FAQ
- 1.13 Communications
2017 Global Board of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission.
- Learn About OWASP
- Read the OWASP Foundation bylaws - Click Here
- Review the Monthly Board meetings, voting history and topics - Click Here
The new anticipated process and timeline is outlined below.
- 10/19 - open election
- 10/26-10/31 send renewal emails to members that expired who should have received a renewal notice and did not.
- 11/7 - close renewals related to voting
- 11/8 - add those who renewed to SV and send ballot
- 11/16 - close voting
- 11/17 - notify candidates
- 11/20 - share the results with the community
- Notify the 4 current board member(s) whose term is up - May 22, 2017
- Call for Candidates Opens - May 23, 2017
- Honorary Membership Self Nomination - Open year round SUBMIT HERE
- Submission for Questions From the Community for the Candidate Interviews - Opens June 9, 2017
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - June 9, 2017
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 9, 2017
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - June 19, 2017
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 19, 2017
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - June 19, 2017
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - June 30, 2017
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 30, 2017
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - June 30, 2017
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 14, 2017
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 14, 2017
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - July 14, 2017
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 24 , 2017
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 24 , 2017
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - July 24, 2017
- Deadline for Call for Candidates Closes - July 31, 2017
- Deadline for Questions from the Community - July 31, 2017
- Verification of candidates - August 1 - August 7, 2017
- Candidates announced - August 8, 2017
- The 6-7 top questions from the community will be selected & shared with Candidates - August 9, 2017
- Scheduling of group interviews - August 8, 2017
- Group interviews will be held - August 25 - September 1, 2017
- Deadline for interview recordings to be completed - September 1, 2017
- Recordings posted on the election wiki page - On or before September 18, 2017
- Email/Social Media notifying the community the recordings are posted - On or before September 18, 2017
- Paid Membership Deadline - September 30, 2017
- Voting opens - October 9, 2017
- Voting closes - October 31, 2017
- Results shared with all candidates - November 7, 2017 (EST AM)
- Results shared via email and social media - November 7, 2017 (EST PM)
Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers who serve a two year term. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. Members of the Global Board of Directors are responsible for setting the strategic direction of the organization and ensuring the financial integrity of the Foundation.
Detailed information on meeting requirements, roles and responsibilities within the board, term limits, and elections is found in the OWASP Foundation bylaws. The Board of Directors Code of Conduct and details of the orientation and on-boarding process are found on our Governance page.
Please reach out to our current Board Members if you'd like additional information on what it's like to be a Global Board member at the OWASP Foundation.
Additional Responsibilities that the International Board of Directors must adhere to can be found on the Foundation Governance Page
Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
You need to be an OWASP individual member in good standing for a twelve (12) month period of time prior to September 30, 2017. Candidates are required to create a wiki page that includes: a bio, current membership status, a brief description of why you feel you are the best candidate, and why you would like to be elected. You will be contacted on August 7, 2017 to schedule a group audio interview. If you are interesting in running for a seat on the OWASP Global Board please submit your intention along with the requirements listed above. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP. The Call for Candidates is now closed.
Meet the Candidates and listen to their interviews
- Greg Anderson - interview
- Bil Corry - interview
- Arthur Hicken - interview
- Steve Kosten - interview
- Sherif Mansour - interview
- Owen Pendlebury - interview
- Milton Smith - interview
- Chenxi Wang - interview
Call for Questions
The 2017 Global Board of Directors election will start accepting candidate submissions on June 6, 2017. If you are interested in helping lead a global community that strives on making the world a safer place, then please consider running for a seat on the OWASP Global Board of Directors.
From August 9 - September 1, 2017 all individuals who submitted a candidacy will be interviewed, and asked a series of questions about why they feel they should be elected. The questions they are asked come from you! We will take the top 6-7 questions and those will be the questions used during the candidate interviews. You may submit your own question(s) and/or give a "thumbs up" to any existing question previously submitted by your fellow community members.
The Call for Questions is now CLOSED.
The questions below are the top 7 questions submitted and voted on by the OWASP Community. The candidates will be asked a series of these questions during their group interviews schedule for later this month.
1. How do you make sure that the board's decisions won't be influenced by any personal favors or corruption?
2. OWASP does not have a great reputation internationally due what most people call "Politics", how do you intend to solve the "Politics" problem?
3. How do you intend to address bullying within OWASP? If someone is a repeat offender, will you enforce rules to expel or suspend offending parties?
4. How do you intend to empower the Compliance Committee? Currently all it has the power to do is mediate or make suggestions, it needs more than that.
5. What accomplishments related to OWASP Foundation's mission have you demonstrated in the last (5) years?
6. What kind of action plan do you have in mind to help motivate the participation of Developers into OWASP community?
7. What is your strategy to keep chapters active and motivated with OWASP and keep having meetings and organize local events?
Who is eligible for Honorary Membership?
- OWASP Chapter Leaders - The OWASP Chapter MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation 6 months prior to September 30, 2017.
- OWASP Project Leaders - The OWASP Project MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation 6 months prior to September 30, 2017.
**NOTE** If you are an OWASP leader that does not have a current paid Individual Membership or current Honorary Membership on file, but meets the requirements (see eligibility above) for Honorary Membership, then you MUST APPLY for an Honorary Membership in order to vote in this year's election. The Honorary Membership request form is available HERE. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP.
Who Can Vote?
OWASP paid Individual Members, paid Corporate Members and Honorary Members registered as of September 30, 2017 will have (1) vote per seat (there are 4 seats up for this election).
Please check the current Member Directory. If you are not a member yet, we encourage you to JOIN NOW!
How Do I Vote?
On October 9, 2017 eligible voting members will receive an email to their registered email address from [email protected] with subject "BALLOT FOR OWASP 2017 Board Election" This email will include a specific link for you to cast your vote. Please do NOT share this link with anyone. It is a specific link JUST FOR YOU!
Additionally, eligible voting members will also receive an email from the OWASP Foundation notifying them that their ballot has been sent. In the instance that they did not receive a ballot they are asked to contact us immediately.
Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- Read the Membership FAQ CLICK HERE
If you have a question about the current election please CLICK HERE.
- Where can I find communication to the OWASP Community about the upcoming election?
- Answer: We will try to publish announcements and key milestone reminders to as many communication channels as possible, including the OWASP Blog, OWASP Connector, OWASP Leader's List and this Wiki Page. Please feel free to help us communicate the message, by re-posting, re-tweeting, or sharing with the OWASP Chapter, Project, or Initiatives you are involved with.
- Where can I find information on last years Board election?
- May 22, 2017 - Notified via email the 4 current board members who's term will be complete as of December 31, 2017
- May 23, 2017 - Email sent via Master List in Vertical Response, to the Leaders list and to the Community list. Posted on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook
- May 24, 2017 - OWASP Blog post
- May 31, 2017 - Email reminder sent to Leaders list and to the Community list.
- June 9, 2017 - Email reminder sent to Leaders list and to the Community list (Call for Candidates, Honorary Membership & Call for Questions).
- June 27, 2017 - Call for Candidates in OWASP June edition Connector
- June 30, 2017 - Email reminder sent to Leaders list and to the Community list (Call for Candidates, Honorary Membership & Call for Questions).
- July 31, 2017 - Last call Call for Candidates in OWASP July edition Connector
- August 7, 2017 - Candidates notified via email
- August 8, 2017 - Began to schedule Candidate interviews via email (Doodle)
- August 9, 2017 - Interview questions shared with Candidates via email and posted to the Election page
- August 29, 2017 Candidates included in August Connector edition
- August 25 - September 1 - Group interviews held
- September 18 - interview recordings posted to Election page